Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ice cream....

The last few days have been rainy and 'cold'. I put that in quotes because, well, 'cold' in Wellington is not really cold. The temps have been around 12 C (it makes my head hurt but I'm starting to get the hang of this Celcius thing....so that's about 53 F) and by any Wellingtonian's definition this is frigid weather. Frigid. I can't tell you how many people I've seen bundled in down jackets, teeth a-chattering. Maybe for the first time ever I'm feeling thankful for the perspective (on what constitutes cold weather) from living in places like Montana, Minnesota and North Dakota. For it was in those places that I've spent the vast majority of my life thus far, bundled against the cold and always on my way to get ice cream. Now I don't know if this is an artifact of living in the Midwest or just something that my family did. We were always buying ice cream at the grocery store or going through the Dairy Queen drive-thru in subzero degree weather.

I was reminded of all those times slurping ice cream in the dead of winter when Tim and I ventured out and about the other day. Amongst the downclad throngs of shivering people on the sidewalks we stopped for some ice cream. It was delicious and made me think of home. :)

1 comment:

  1. I just read all your blog spots from the beginning of March - wow - so cool - and the pictures are great.
    thanks for putting the blog together - it helps us feel connected to our kids so far away.
    Love ya, Mom & Paul

    ReplyDelete