Thursday, September 5, 2013

Next stop Belgium.....

We checked out  of our hotel in London and walked to the train station where we boarded a Eurostar train. Having traveled by train so seldom, for the both of us, we were excited. So this train whisked us through the portion of UK southeast of  London and then through the Chunnel! Surprisingly, the tunnel portion of the trip was only about twenty minutes. For some reason we had expected it to be much longer under the water.

Anyway, the train deposited us in Brussels where we disembarked and went in search of a bathroom only find that they are 'pay as you go'. So we  scrambled  to find  an ATM where we gathered  some euros and then had to persuade a shop keeper to give us change as the restroom machines only took 0.50 euro coins.  Sigh. A  bit too much drama for just using the bathroom  but what can you  do?

From there  we found the ticket desk where, thankfully the teller spoke English, we  purchased our tickets to Leuven.  Passing  from the UK to Belgium is a noticeable change. You hear almost no  English and an overwhelming number  of different languages. I had to smile when I heard a family go  past and they were speaking Spanish. It was a  whole new world  and thus began our  time in countries where English is unlikely to be the go-to language. It should be interesting. :)

On the  train to Leuven most of the announcements were made in French and another  language which we still  cannot figure out if it's Dutch or Flemish  or  something else entirely. We  did  manage to get off at Leuven and strapping on our packs  we walked across town and easily found our hotel. Checking in without incident we settled into our room. Then we went out exploring which was extra interesting considering we had  arrived smack in the middle of a  summer  fair  complete with rides, games, and "fair  food". We  plopped  down  outside a bar  and had a drink and that's when I saw at the table next to us some fair food that I just had  to have. We walked  around and found where they were selling what we learned was smoutebollen. Fresh and hotter than the surface of the sun Timmy  pushed past the pain and tried the first  one. Just like any other deep fried  fair food they were  delicious! And as  always I ended up wearing most  of the powdered sugar on my clothes  - I'm challenged  when it comes to eating.  :)



We also saw several food stands that were selling hamburgers, hot dogs and what goes good with these two things? Escargot  of course! Discussion  followed if we should try them but we both decided that we didn't  have  enough  liquid courage on board  and then the moment passed.  :)


After that we popped around to various bars where we sat outside which is the thing  to do in Leuven; every  restaurant  has  a whole contingent of tables and chairs sitting outside. I've learned that all you have to do is sit yourself down and they'll come and serve you. We've had multiple awkward moments  because people,  for the most part, won't start by speaking English. They will  however switch when they realize that you can't understand them.  Speaking  of that, our second day in Leuven, I went out to walk around and planned to look for a European outlet adapter since we  only have Australia/NZ and UK. I happened  to pass a hardware  store and decided to pop  in and see what  they had. Indeed  I found  an adapter that could basically  take  any  plug and fit it into a European socket (with the odd  exception of  Italy, but we'll figure that out when we get there).  I went up to pay  and the woman starting speaking to  me in another language and seeing the expression on my face  kindly  pointed to the till readout that displayed the price.  I smiled and said, "I'm  sorry"  to which she said, apologetically,  something I  couldn't  understand with the exception of  "no  English". I've  had that happen  several times since we've been  in Leuven, people  apologizing  for not speaking English to me. And I just want to say, "Considering how  many  different languages  people speak here there's  no way  you can  automatically tell if someone  needs  English to be understood!". I do appreciate the fact that people are very nice  even if they can't speak English. It  makes me wonder what France and Italy  will be  like. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment