Monday, July 29, 2013

SPCA....

Today Tim and I worked our first volunteer shift  at the Wellington SPCA. Let me just say we are already hooked. Tim worked in the "adult dog" area where he met all the pups and spent the shift clean cages, feeding/watering, doing doggie bed laundry and giving attention to each pooch. I don't have to tell you that he was having a ball. :)

I'm starting out in "vet care" where animals are kept after surgery, injury or illness. I ended up shadowing a woman named Lucy and she was a great teacher to get me going/understanding the processes that are required in vet care. We started with animals in quarantine and with each cage we would check the chart to see what food these critters were taking as well as change their litter boxes/bedding if necessary. Several cats were extra friendly and ready to step out the cage when you would open the door. For example, there were two brother cats caged together - orange and fluffy as can be. Before I opened the cage they were already meowing, purring and sticking their paws through the cage for a little attention. With their cage being on a low shelf I bent down to open the door to grab their food and water dishes and what do you know? Instantly, I had both arms completely full of orange fluffy cats! I must have a been a sight to see because when Lucy came around the corner and saw the three of us cuddling she just laughed and then helped me wrangle them back into the cage so we could finish freshening things up. Talk about melt you heart!! There were several others cats that demanded attention as soon as they saw you coming. :) So we moved through the quarantine area then onto "small isolation", where animals may have contagious (mostly animal to animal) conditions and therefore need to be separate from the other animals. Lastly, we moved on to "big isolation" and I was hoping for something bigger than a cat but alas the only critters in "big iso" were several large cats. :)

With our shift over Lucy and I washed up at one of the sinks. We were just chatting as I washed my hands and I didn't think anything of it as I was washing all the up to the elbow. Working in the lab I've learned that even when you wear a lab coat you need to wash your entire forearm area. She paused and said, "Wow. that is a thorough washing, almost surgical". I had to laugh and sheepishly replied, "Truth be told I'm allergic to animal dander". I love saying this to people because their reaction is always the same: incredulity. They thing I'm insane for working with animals. What can I say? Yes, I'm allergic but I have clothes that I only wear when I handle animals, I always wear gloves and wash up thoroughly when I'm done. That and I've talked to my doctor and we've found good allergy med combination of nasal spray and Claritan-type pill. It's not perfect but for the most part it keep my symptoms in check. 

Lucy and I said our goodbyes and I went to find Timmy in the dog run. He introduced me to some of the pups and gave them a last minute treat. One of these pups was SO cute I have to give her special mention. When we came upon the first cage I took in a sight so adorable it stopped me in my tracks. Picture a black lab adolescent, you know the size where they are getting big but still have big puppy paws. Gem was sitting towards the back of her cage until Tim approached and then she was immediately at the door to get her treat. We don't know her whole story but she was sporting a bandage on her leg and subsequently was wearing a protective cone around her head. Oh my gosh!! So cute - the words don't really do her cuteness justice. :)

All in all the shift flew by and we were both pleased with the areas we had chosen. Happy and spent we caught the bus and described our respective experiences each other. I'm so glad we're giving this a try - talk about producing good feelings!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you both found great niches for your volunteering at the animal shelter. Yeah, I agree, sometimes "cute" just does not do it. I'm sure Tim is just counting the days till you can have your own place and he can have a dog - as we all know they become members of your family.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete