Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Wire what???

Recently I was working on adding a temperature control unit to a warming oven in our lab.  The job was relatively simply, I was basically wiring in a really expensive thermostat.  Once everything was in place and assembled, I had two sets of wires that needed to be tied together.  So what do I look for?  A couple wire nuts of course.

You know, these things:

When I couldn't find any in our lab, I went to ask our department's electronics technician.  At first I thought Rod (our tech) was pulling my leg when he said he had no idea what I was talking about, but then I figured there must be another name in New Zealand for these little devices.  Once I described what you us them for, he exclaimed, "oh, a terminal block!"

But wait, a terminal block is this:


I worked hard to explain again what I was looking for and described their usage in construction, but I was assured that I was looking for a terminal block.  Or as I learned a "candy bar" in Kiwi speak.  To be safe I had Rod check out what I was doing and he assured me I was looking for a terminal block.  Well in the end I got the job done, but I am still not convinced how New Zealand functions without wire nuts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment