Sunday, January 22, 2012

SFMOMA

That is, San Fransisco Musuem of Modern Art. On our way back to Fresno from Minneapolis we flew into San Fransisco, took the BART back into the Union Square area where we stayed a couple nights. While wandering we decided to take in the SFMOMA. In a word: fabulous! And I say that cautiously because 'modern art' can mean all sorts of weirdness, things I will never understand. There was some of that there but with several very different exhibits the majority was interesting. We wandered in there for hours. Entering an area of paintings I walked around a corner and my heart almost stopped. What I beheld was two Georgia O'Keefe landscapes. Ever since high school I've been a fan of her art, especially her flowers. Larger than life, extending beyond the page or canvas, and often in brilliant or intense color combinations. I've looked at her work in books and online but had never seen anything up close and personal. I stood, mesmerized, not believing that I was actually looking at artwork from one of my favorite artists. Standing so close to something that she had touched, that she had created was simply amazing. I had always desired to see her work in a museum but figured it would never happen. All of that to say that I was speechless, almost in tears as I studied both paintings.

After tearing myself away from Georgia, we worked our way through several floors of exhibits, some amazing, some disturbing, some bizarre and then we found ourselves at the rooftop garden and cafe. We sat down to fun treats: cappuciano, coffee ice cream and cake reminscient of De Stijl complete with panes of red, blue and yellow (see below).


On our way back downstairs we spent some time in the museum store. We could've spent the whole day looking at their books, jewelry, prints, toys and kitchen stuff. It made me wish we had the room to bring more items along with us but, alas, with this move we are going minimalist. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment