Friday, March 29, 2013

Taste test....

We've encountered all types of interesting and different food products since moving to Wellington. But let's just say that some are better than others. Upon arrival we noticed that people really seemed to like putting either Vegemite or Marmite on toast for breakfast. Ok, a little background if you are unfamiliar with these products - they are yeast spreads (gag). I didn't get around to trying either of these spreads until last week and, admittedly, going into this gustatory experience I was expecting that I wouldn't like either (I mean yeast spread? Does that sound appetizing to anyone??). But what could I say until I tried them both? It happened when a group of us from the lab were chatting one morning in our break room where many students have their breakfasts/lunches. There's been a lot of hubbub lately because for awhile Marmite was off the market and just recently is back in stores. Kiwis are very excited about this. We were chatting about the Vegemite vs Marmite debate (a very polarized issue here in NZ) and that's when I said I hadn't tried either. So a taste test was arranged for me - two half pieces of toast were smeared with one or the other of the dark brown/almost black goo and presented to me side by side on a plate. I was kept blind to which was which and could try whichever one first. With all eyes on me I had to laughed before I took the first bite. It was a weird kind of salty, spicy flavor. After some water I tried the other one and found it to be salty too but not so spicy. In the end I admitted my preference would have been the second option which turned out to be Marmite (my friend Hannah was openly disappointed as she is in the Vegemite camp). I did qualify my statement by saying that I actually wouldn't eat either of them (willingly). Bleh. With that said they squabbled amongst themselves as to who would get to finish the pieces of toast. Needless to say we won't be adding a jar of either spread to our next grocery order. Seriously, out of all the things you could put on toast: peanut butter, jam, butter; why would you choose something that looks awful and tastes like salty nothing? I mean I get it, we are all exposed to different foods in our lifetimes but honestly people. Who said, "I think yeast would be a great compliment to toast"?. Yeasty flavor on a food made with yeast. Yum-brilliance! Or at least Kiwis think it is. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment