Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Theodor Seuss Geisel....

Just last week, as I was glancing at the paper in our break room, I saw the familiar brilliant colors and quirky designs of Dr. Seuss. I smiled to myself as so many evenings from my childhood were brought to mind. Now I can blame, or more aptly thank, my mom for continuously taking us to the library. While I didn't remember the rules at the time, later in life I learned that she would take us every week and we would each be allowed to check out five books. So that meant that mom had to keep track of fifteen books for the three of us plus any that she checked out for herself. She'll tell you that this wasn't a difficult task but I think she deserves to be commended. :) She helped foster this 'habit' that served as the seed for what has become an obsession for me. Books. I love books. Even if I have a stack to read, and I always do, I still look at other books. I browse Amazon and add books to my wishlist. While I miss Barnes & Noble terribly I still visit the bookstores here to see what gems they have in store even though the price tags keep me from buying anything 99% of the time. When mass market paperbacks, the smallest, cheapest ones you can find, cost $30 NZD ($24 USD) it's tough to justify such a purchase. Sigh.

Bringing the tangent back around. So when those Seussian figures caught my eye I was delighted to learn that the "Art of Dr. Seuss" was coming to a gallery in Wellington. Yes!


After discussing my love of Dr. Seuss with a friend and colleague from uni (Victoria), Sarah, we decided to make a date to take in the exhibit. See our favorite prints below. The first is titled A Prayer for a Child and the second is Venetian Cat Singing Oh Solo Meow. Seeing the vibrant colors firsthand was simply amazing!!



Now I want to go out and buy my favorite Dr. Seuss book of all time: The Sleep Book. I cannot believe that it's not in my library!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment