Thursday, August 13, 2015

Dark side.....

I must apologize. I haven't posted in months. In the past I've had the expected ebb and flow of blog posts however these last few months have been utterly and completely overwhelmed with work. I remember writing about being busy running experiments for months on end; those times were crazy however they pale in comparison to what I've experienced lately.

In short I completed the last of my behavioral experiments then spent weeks living in one of the biology labs on campus processing tissue. After that I finished collecting data at Wellington Zoo project. The following day Tim and I flew to the US where he spent a month working in the NMR lab at MSU and I holed up and spent my days writing. It was an incredibly productive time and upon arriving back in NZ I had serious drafts of all my chapters in the works.

Then it happened. Months earlier I had submitted two abstracts for presentations at the Australia and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching (ANZCCART) conference. One outlined the training program we've developed at Vic and the other my small cats zoo project. After submitting them I heard back straightaway about the ethics training program and was given a presentation slot - great! After that I didn't hear back about the second abstract and assumed that it had not been accepted. The week before we left the US I emailed the conference organizers just to be sure. Apparently, an email had been lost along the way and the second abstract had been accepted but because they couldn't get in touch with me I didn't realize this until less than two weeks before the conference. They were relieved to hear from me but worried that I wouldn't have enough time to prepare. As insanity would have it I assured them that I would make it happen. So the week we arrived back in NZ I spent the majority of my time preparing the two presentations as well as the accompanying papers that the conference requires of the presenters. I was also scrambling to arrange a time to give my presentation of the small cats data to a group at the zoo. Thankfully we were able to squeeze this in - I'm a firm believer in practicing presentations and getting feedback before you give them for real. A veritable whirlwind of activity and unfortunately that left no time for the thesis. Talk about serious guilt. The conference started the following week and I was on a plane to Gold Coast, Australia, before I knew it. Both talks went very well and generated a great deal of discussion throughout the week. After each one I had people lining up to talk to me - I took that as a good sign. :) I'm very glad that I decided to go but as you can imagine it didn't leave much time for thesis writing during that week either. Sigh. More guilt.

After returning to NZ I had just one week until the end of July: my arbitrary deadline for thesis submission. As you might expect that was not going to happen. And it didn't.

Now we're two weeks into August and I am creeping ever closer to submitting this book. It's the first one I've written and currently is numbering 150 pages. Of my five chapters I've finished three of them. The fourth chapter and the General Discussion are both well on their way. So thesis submission will happen sometime in August and I can't tell you how amazing it is to consider this. After all this time, work, blood, sweat and tears - it is actually going to happen! More to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment